Project

We broke down the project into 3 distinct phases. Firstly, we designed how the data would look laid out on a celestial calender. We had to adjust the mesurements from the tables at exoplanet.org to account for the projection distortion the star wheel maps have. We double checked our positioning by looking at existing exoplanetary maps as well.

After the design was sketched out, we started adding decorative elements and the structure that would allow us to read the wheel itself.
Then we moved to fabrication. The wheel was set to 17.5" square, then the wheel was deeply engraved with the laser. When I moved on to cutting the frame, the laser I was using failed to make clean cuts.After finishing the viewing window, I redesigning the edges again, I was able to get a clean cut for the details, taking in final feedback from the class to help shape the project a bit better.

All the boards were then sandwhiched together and spacers were added to allow free movement. The laser residue and tight fitting wheels had to be sanded down to spin freely. The piece will then finished off with some hinges for a removeable top.